Have you ever gone shopping and had the sales assistant tell you, "sorry we do not sell plus size dresses," and you can't help but wonder, "hold on a sec! What is plus size clothing"?
Well, you're not alone.
There are conflicting views and opinions on what is and what isn't plus-size, and these discrepancies do nothing but augment the confusion on what plus size fashion is.
The fashion space is of no help as there is no consensus on a conclusive and definitive standard on what should be labelled plus size.
This confusion may be the effect of the long-time neglect of the plus-size community and limiting fashion models to only the thin and tall, which left our plus size divas poorly represented in the fashion space.
But not to worry, we are here to explain in the simplest of terms, the uproar of plus-size clothing. We’ll also point you in the direction of classy plus size clothing when next you shop.
Understanding Plus Size Clothing
Typically, cloth sizes vary from country to country, and so a size 10 in the US or Canada is not a size 10 in the UK or Australia.
Cloth sizes larger than the regular extra small (XS), small(S), medium (M), large (L), and extra-large (XL) fall under the plus-size category.
Plus size clothing is simply clothing for bigger and more voluptuous than average women – women with wider hips, bigger bust, bigger waist, or a more rotund midriff.
It may come in a different designation of sizes, which may vary with fashion brands or clothing lines:
- Alpha Sizes: plus size with an 'X'– to signify extra – after the size number. 1X 2X 3X, and so on. It is a generic plus size sizing designation and mainly favored in the international fashion space.
- Alpha-Numeric Sizes: cloth sizes designated with a 'W' – which stands for Women Sizing. Plus, size is usually pegged at 14W and over.
- Numeric Sizes: in the US, the standard sizing is from a size 0 and over. Some fashion brands place plus-size on a size 16 and above, while others go for a size 18 and higher.
Shopping Tips for Plus Size Wares
Shopping, for plus size women, can prove a daunting task. The issue of rarely seeing fashionable styles in plus size and having to settle for less can be very frustrating. But there should be no cause for alarm as the internet has made shopping easy.
With reputable brands and online stores, like ours of course, dedicated to adequately catering to plus size women's fashion needs and creating a platform to shop with confidence, there is now a trend of fashionable plus size clothing.
Now, let’s take a look at some of the best shopping tips for plus size women.
- Avoid oversized and chunky clothing as they conceal your curves and make you appear bigger than you are. What you want to do is accentuate those curves and not hide them.
- Go for high waist pants as they will help define your waist and give the illusion of a more trimmed lower body.
- Opt for thinner and vertical stripes to stylishly play down your big frame.
Pro tip: Love your body and pay no attention to hurtful stereotypes that do not define who you are!
For more information on plus size fashion and general style and fashion guide, do not hesitate to reach out to us; we are your go-to-guy anytime!